February 2, 2011

Does Phil feel lucky?

So many things I want to share. First! Today is Groundhog Day and to quote my friend Kim "To say you guys are weird for Groundhog Day is an understatement" kind of explains how excited Joel and I get for this particular day. I mean who doesn't love Bill Murray AND Punxsy Phil? Am I right? But it is also the day that Joel remembers meeting me all those years ago (10 to be exact). And I say remembers because we ACTUALLY met in August of 2000 but for reasons beyond comprehension he can't recall meeting me then. Punk! Punxsutawney is a great little town that we have visited twice- the first time was just some random January weekend and the second time was actually for Groundhog Day. I think today we will only communicate with each other using quotes from the movie- because we are super clever like that. And by clever I mean really really lame. But who cares- it's GROUNDHOG DAY!!! Much like REX MANNING DAY! It also feels special thinking back to February 2, 2001 which was kind of the start of it all- the friendship that eventually became something more.

Today also starts Day 1, for me, for a project I am doing called 30 for 30. Kendi of Kendi Everyday started it last year as a way to learn how to shop your own closet for outfits and inspiration. It's a really cool concept- pick 30 items (including shoes) and wear them for 30 days. And while you're making up outfits with only these 30 items you can't go shopping. I have to admit that I am NOT a big shopper*. I love the idea of shopping but then I got bogged down with too many choices and my (annoying) ability to rationalize why I don't need this or that. My mother, on the other hand, never needs an excuse to shop which is evident when I go back home and realize that she has a closet just for pants. Her summer pants are in another closet.

So why am I doing this? Although I don't have a crazy closet full of clothes I do want to learn how to shop smarter and how to pair potential new clothes with what I own already. As a stay at home mom living in what feels like the Arctic Tundra I don't really feel like putting in the effort to wear anything besides comfy pants and a hoodie and many, many layers of socks. I also want to get rid of some clothes and wearing them to death this month seems like a great guilt free way to do so. Here are the items I am choosing for this project:

4 button downs. 2 sweater vests.

5 long sleeve shirts. 1 short sleeve tee. 1 cowl neck

4 jeans.

2 dresses. 2 skirts.

2 cardigans. 1 blazer. 2 sweaters.

3 shoes.

I am one item short. It may be for a pair of sneakers or maybe, just maybe, I will keep it as a wild card! Kim is joining me in this venture so it will be exciting to see what she comes up with as well.
BING!!

*this is quite a huge contradiction to my pre college days when Contempo Casuals (what is now Wet Seal and truly not the same) was my favorite place in the whole world. I could also make an outfit for under 40 bucks. Just ask Jaime Rader.

3 comments:

  1. What a fun idea! I am sure you are going to love getting creative with your clothes. Oh yeah...and Happy Groundhog Day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous3:42 PM

    oh no wayyy! first things first: i love that you guys love groundhog day so much - it's not weird, it's awesome. (kind of like how dan and I like burritos so much?)

    and i have been reading Kendi's blog for a while and sort of enjoying following along with the 30 for 30 posts jsut because it's interesting, and I'd love to have better style than I do, really, because i don't have much.

    so i am SO EXCITED that you are doing this. and i can't wait to follow along!! :)

    -elizabeth

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! You can always email me at cynthiathat@gmail.com

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...