July 3, 2009

Happy Birthday Jeff

I am ashamed to admit that it took me far to long to realize a simple fact:  My brother Jeff is amazing and despite the typical 'older brother teasing little sister' memories I have, my brother Jeff was amazing back then too.  On the surface of my childhood memories I can recall the names my brother bestowed upon me.  And there was also something said about me having "more rolls than a bakery".... Oh brothers can be so cruel.  He teased me constantly, never let me win at Nerf basketball, and would too often scare me with bugs (especially those huge locusts that came out in the summer).  There were many fun moments and a few inside jokes from old cartoons we watched together but I think the majority of my memories with Jeff consisted of all the teasing and brother like torture.  

However, this past year I came to this huge, HUGE realization- my brother has, in one way or another, always been there for me.  He took babysitting his sister (who is 9 years younger) to epic heights- taking me to see Follow that Bird, Care Bears, Rainbow Brite, etc, bringing me to the public pool or the beach during the summer and making me laugh with his impersonations of our parents.  I remember walking into our house on my birthday (I think it was my 9th) and my brother decorated the entire kitchen with hand-written birthday signs.  When I was in college he sent me a package with a video of me dancing to Paula Abdul and Sir Mix-a-lot (although I'm sure he meant to embarrass me more than make me smile).  At my wedding he wrote a speech that left my guests crying from laughing so hard and finished it off with one of our inside jokes.  

Jeff was there for me back then whether it was keeping me company or driving me around everywhere.  Even though I am sure he hated all my requests I don't think he ever said "no" to me once.  Now I have this older brother who respects me, is there to listen to me and give brotherly advice when needed and is just an all around awesome guy.  

So, today is my brother's birthday and I feel there is no better day to let him know that I appreciate the memories he has given me.  Happy Birthday Jeff!!! I love you and I just love cheese... really I do.  

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous9:06 PM

    How the heck did this get me so choked up???? I loved reading about how much you love your brother.

    And happy birthday Jeff!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is so totally sweet. yay for you & your brother.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! You can always email me at cynthiathat@gmail.com

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...